Saturday, December 17, 2011

GTS - December 17th 2011 - Holiday Fun Run

Today we ran 10km.  Well, it was either 10km or 70 minutes, whichever came first.  I ran a little less than the 10 km but a little more than 70 minutes.  This is my longest and further run yet.  From now on, all the Saturday GTS runs will be record-breaking for me.

This was the Christmas fun run, so in the picture above we have some of our mentors and TNT staff, and I think some TNT alumni as well, and they are all decked out and handing out hot chocolate.  This was at 4km, and on the way back they handed out cookies. 

Just before we reached this point, we had to climb the biggest hill I've ever encountered since I started running....Côte St-Luc.  Coaches said to look at the top of the hill and that this is what works best psychologically.  Jodie said she prefers to look at her feet and that way she doesn`t see the hill.  I concentrated mostly on breathing.  I saw one runner stop running and walk about halfway up.  Jodie and I ran on.  Towards the top, I was really working hard, and actually starting to feel nauseous.  Jodie kept telling me we were almost there, and hearing her say it didn`t help.  I don`t know if she'll read this but ... I didn`t even have what it took to ask her to stop.  Then coach Isabelle came to me and ran alongside me and told me to take smaller steps and that I was almost there.  Again I could not react.  I just ran.  Then she pointed to an upcoming traffic light and told me to take a walk break once I reached it.  Later Jodie told me that alot of people stopped in the hill.  I didn`t even notice.  I don`t even remember everything.  Apparently the nausea comes from pushing too hard, but hills are not optional because our half marathon is in a canyon, and it`s uphill for a very long stretch (we are climbing 1000 feet) and then downhill the rest of the way.  There is not a stretch of flat land!

Before the run we had a sports psychology session with coach Brent.  It was great.  I think he could almost make me believe in Santa Claus.  He explained that it`s all about attitude.  If you go out thinking and telling yourself you can`t, then it`s certain that you won`t.  At one point he took out a sword and said that the little voice that says you can`t is your inner ninja and that you have to fight it.  Our coaches are amazing.  Our teammates who share their stories in missions moments are amazing.  Team in Training is a gathering place for alot of amazing people.  I look forward to the finish line, but I`m not anxious for all this to be finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment