Sunday, December 11, 2011

How it all started and why I'm doing this

Earlier this year, in July to be precise, following a move to a new neighborhood with my two boys, I decided to do something good for myself.  I didn't know if it was something I'd start and follow through on, or if it would just be something I tried and failed at.  I decided to start a running program called Couch to 5 K. 

The program was simple enough, I started off with running for 1 minute, and then walking for 90 seconds, for a total of 8 minutes of running.  It was hard!  But it got harder.  Then  before I knew it, I had reached the scary day where I had to run 20 minutes straight.  My son had a football practice so I decided to go to the field in my running clothes and run the track around the field.  It took guts because there were so many people watching.  I had to talk to myself alot...but I got through it.  That's when I started to believe. 

I should also mention that between that day in July when I put on my running shoes and took that first step and today...I've lost 30 pounds.  I don't plan to ever stop running.  I'm very grateful for what running has done for me and I decided to give back, by running for others.  My first 5K was at a race called "Pump it up for platelets", raising funds for blood disorders.  My mother was at the race to cheer me on.  She herself suffers from a blood disorder.  Then I did the CIBC Run for the Cure for breast cancer.  Then I heard about Team in Training on the radio and knew this was what I was looking for.

We've been training for over a month now, and we've been lucky so far with great weather, but yesterday was our first taste of winter running.  The sidewalks were icy and quite a few of us fell down, but most of us were not hurt. 

I've met some great people so far, and I just know this experience is one I will remember for the rest of my life.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic Irene! I hope you're super proud of yourself - you should be! I'll be watching your blog for news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great! C25K is the best program! I am doing a Virtual 5k this Saturday for Team in Training. It will be my third race.

    Nicole
    http://runningwhilemommy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete